Friday 27 February 2009

Comme des Garçons. The future of Black.




I'm fascinated by the Comme des Garcons S/S ready to wear collection. Rei Kawakubo has experimented loads with shape and proportion. There's a clear influence on the catwalks for designers to look at geometric shapes taking fashion back to basics. At the moment the brief on my course is the same, we have to construct a garment with a single shape, looking at how ancient cultures used basic forms and so on, so i'm defiantly not short for inspiration at the moment!
Rei Kawakubo has chosen a challenging hexagon, using a patchwork type style on some garments she has created the cutest cocooning skirts and pouffy tops. Some look like deconstructed footballs! Especially the bag I saw in Dover Street Market (I wish I was minted, I wanted everything). I love pretty much the whole lot, the black vinyl leather has quite a sinister/angry feeling, this with the messy, tatty chiffon makes the ideal balance. I'd love to get into that woman's head! The collection is going be a huge success and mahousivly influential for designers world wide (inc. me). I really really hope I can get a work placement with Comme des Garcons somewhere amongst the business, ooohhhh how I would be so happy, i'm finding out about it at the moment, some strings need to be pulled but ill make sure it gets done!! Let me know if you love the collection as much as me! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there...I love Comme des Garcons! I was wondering how one would go about getting a work placement there. Any help would be greatly recieved :)
    Thank you!
    My email is ciara_ip@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete